London Triathlon   no comments

Posted at 11:38 am in blog

It’s been a few weeks since I completed the Mazda London Triathlon now (took a week’s holiday immediately after, and have been desperately trying to catch up with email since then!).
Overall, it was a fantastic day. Superbly organised considering the massive volume of people and equipment being handled over the weekend. My start time was 4pm on the Saturday and despite only having picked up my Orca S3 wetsuit from the fantastic 2 weeks before – and hence only having practiced in it a couple of times, I felt relatively relaxed. Training had been going well, with only a few niggles in knees and ankles here and there.
First up was the 750m swim. It was always going to be my strongest area having swum competitively when I was younger. The water was murky, but not too cold and at the start there was a lot of hands and feet thrashing around and hitting (all accidental I’m sure). Though having spent a few years playing waterpolo too, I was used to that. Out of my wave of around 450 people, I climbed out of the water in 16th position, feeling quite comfortable.
The 20Km cycle went ok too. The ground was a little damp from the earlier rain, but it didn’t seem to slippy. However, I did see one guy at a roundabout who’d obviously mis-judged a corner and was sitting with the St Johns Ambulance crew having a very bloody face attended to. Towards the end I could feel my calves starting to cramp unfortunately.
The 5Km run was where I expected to fall behind, and so I did. I felt tired but soldiered on with the cheers and encouragement of friends and family. Also, the guys from the Army who were marshalling people around were great with their shouts of support too.

Thanks to everyone who sponsored me and raised valuable money for Keech Hospice Care

I put together a short video with photos and video clips (jerkily shot by my 8 year old daughter Scarlett).

Written by dgoodchild on September 9th, 2010

Tagged with , , , ,

Leave a Reply